I pray that everyone had a good 4th of July! I hope you had rest and solid family time! As I sat on the front lawn of Asheville Savings Bank I thought about how amazing it is to have freedom.
Thank you to all of you who have served and those who are currently serving in our nation’s military.
Our promise of freedom is overshadowed by God’s promise of freedom from sin. We get to enjoy Independence Day with our families and watch beautiful fireworks. However, that pales in comparison to our eternal freedom from sin.
On Sunday, we talked about God’s covenant with David. You might be thinking, “What does that have to do with my eternal freedom?” Well, a lot actually.
The covenant that God made with David was a promise that his descendants will always be the king. This alludes to 27 generations down to Jesus! Your goal as parents for this devotion is to help your children understand that God’s promises never fail, and that God loves us so much! Here are the Conversation Starters:
- What is a covenant? (A promise. It’s different than a contract.)
- Who else did God make a covenant with? (Abraham, Jacob, etc.)
- David lived in a huge palace. Do you believe that God deserves a big palace?
- Do you believe he needs it? (No, he cannot be confined to one place.)
- Read 2 Samuel 7:16
- What was God’s covenant with David?
- Do you think that God kept his promise to David? Why?
- Who was the most popular king to come from David’s line? (Jesus)
- Did Jesus live in a palace fit for a king? (No)
- Was David grateful for this covenant?
- What was the covenant that Jesus made with us? (If we accept him, he will give us eternal life.)
- Should we be thankful for this covenant? Why?
As always, adjust where you need to!