I don’t own a vehicle with OnStar. I have just always thought that I wouldn’t get very lost in Western North Carolina. What I discovered totally caught me by surprise. Are you aware of what OnStar, the satellite system that you can have in your vehicle, provides? Here’s a brief list.
- Online Concierge Services – for event tickets, dining reservations, gift recommendations and more.
- Automatic Notification of Air Bag Deployment – if your front air bags deploy, we can call for help – even if you can’t call for it – to your location as quickly as possible.
- Emergency Services – press the red OnStar Emergency Button and we’ll notify an emergency assistance provider of your location and your emergency need.
- Roadside Assistance – is on the way once you call OnStar. We’ll locate and contact a nearby provider and request help to get you back on the road quickly.
- Stolen-Vehicle Tracking – with OnStar, a stolen vehicle can be tracked without the thief’s knowledge and help guide authorities to its location.
- Accident Assist – gives you step-by-step guidance about what to do in the event of an accident.
- Remote Door Unlock / Lock – OnStar Advisors can unlock and lock your doors in case you locked your keys in the car, or forgot to lock the doors when you left. The Advisors can also flash your lights and honk the horn if you have trouble locating your vehicle, or to scare off unwanted individuals gathered around the vehicle.
- Remote Diagnostics** – cover your vehicle’s vital systems. If your “Check Engine” light illuminates, an OnStar Advisor can provide you with information about the problem – then make recommendations. The Advisors can also help locate a dealer to schedule an appointment for service.
John DiPaola tells his story: His wife and 13-month-old daughter were at the Detroit Zoo recently. The little girl was quite upset when her mother packed up the car to leave, so to calm the little girl, Mrs. DiPaola gave her the keys to their new OnStar-equipped Pontiac Montana to play with.
Mrs. DiPaola placed the girl, holding the keys, in the car seat and then walked around the back of the van to put away the stroller. When she tried the handle on the hatch door of the van, it was locked. She looked around the corner just in time to see the power sliding door closing. The toddler had pushed the buttons on the remote control attached to the key ring and closed the power sliding door and locked the van.
Needless to say, Mrs. DiPaola got panicky and asked someone in the parking lot if she could use his cellular phone to call OnStar. The OnStar Advisor was able to send a signal to the Montana, opening the door. Says John DiPaola, “During this time my daughter sat laughing in her car seat at all the people looking in the windows. After several minutes the doors were unlocked and my wife was relieved to give our daughter a big hug.”
And like OnStar, this traveling companion has a list of credentials—His own personal job description. His guarantees never fail. He carries through every time. This week we’ll learn more about HIm–the Holy Spirit.