If I told you that you could have one wish granted, what would it be? You cannot wish for more wishes!
You might drive yourself crazy with all of the endless possibilities: a new car, world peace, one billion dollars (that one was popular with the kids), a new house, etc.
God gave Solomon the opportunity to wish for anything in the world. Solomon was named the new king of Israel after his father, David, died. God appeared to Solomon in a dream and gave him the opportunity to choose from the limitless possibilities a king would want.
His answer is shocking to most who read this story. Solomon asked God for wisdom. He could have wished for his enemies to die or even to be immortal! Solomon wanted to be a good king. The one thing he needed to help him was wisdom.
Our Main Idea in Kids Worship yesterday was God gives us what we need. For Solomon, it was wisdom. I led one of the Bible Fellowship classes yesterday, and the conversation was amazing. I believe you can really pour into your kids with these Conversation Starters!
- If you could have one wish what would it be? (They can’t ask for more wishes.)
- Why would you wish for that?
- Remind them about who Solomon is and read 1 Kings 3:9. (It may be difficult for them to understand the language of the text, so explain he is asking for wisdom.)
- What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom? (Knowledge is knowing things, but wisdom is knowing what to do with them.)
- What are some things that Solomon could have asked for?
- Did God give him wisdom? (Yes. Read 1 Kings 3:11-12.)
- Was Solomon being selfish when he asked for wisdom?
- Would you change your answer knowing what Solomon wished for?
- Read Proverbs 2:6-7.
- Explain that most wishes are materialistic. These wishes (one billion dollars, a new car, etc.) are attainable wishes. However, wisdom only comes from God according to the book of Proverbs.
- Have you ever been scared or confused and you didn’t know what to do? (Explain a time when you didn’t know what to do.)
- We can pray and ask God to give us wisdom on what we are supposed to do. (Pray together.)
As always, adjust where necessary! God bless.