What an exciting Easter weekend it was! Good Friday, Journey To The Cross, Easter Eggstravaganza, and all four services yesterday made for a monster celebration of our risen Savior.
This week as Pastor Jerry and I prepared our Easter sermons, I wondered if the kids would be able to handle our One Main Idea: Unthinkable Sin Demands Unbelievable Justice. As it turns out, they can. If you were not able to make it to any of the services yesterday, please go listen to the sermon via Podcast or click here.
I love the idea of streamlining Pastor Jerry’s sermon with mine. We are also going to start conversation starters on the blog the following Monday. For all parents of children, here are the conversation starters:
- When you are at school, and you see someone being bullied, what do you do?
- Do you ever see a bully get away with their actions? Do they not get in trouble?
- Do you think that is fair?
- Read Habakkuk 1:1-4. Should Habakkuk speak to God in this way?
- Have you ever felt like Habakkuk? A bully not getting in trouble? A sibling not getting in trouble?
- What is Unthinkable Sin? (In Kids Worship we talked about all sin being “unthinkable.” For Habakkuk, there was violence and destruction. For us, it’s everyday sin. To God, there is no distinction. Sin is sin.)
- Read Habakkuk 1:5-6. God is about to raise up a people for the sole purpose of destruction. Are the Israelites getting what they deserved?
- What is Unbelievable Justice?
- If the Chaldeans were raised up to bring justice to the Israelites, who was raised up for us?
- Do we get what we deserve? Does Jesus deserve it? (Illustration: If your sibling took a spanking that you deserved, how would that make you feel?)
- Can God really love us so much, that he would send his only son to die for us? Yes.
Feel free to adjust accordingly with these questions. These are skeleton questions to help pursue meaty conversation with your children. Enjoy!