Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. (1 Corinthians 10:14 ESV)
Dictionary.com defines flee as
- End ungodly relationships. The right relationship with the wrong person is still the wrong relationship. Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm. (Proverbs 13:20 ESV)
- End ungodly habits. Stephen Covey said, “Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.” (7 Habits of Highly Effective People) What you do today will determine who you are tomorrow.
- Don’t just run from–run to. If you flee idolatry without running to God, you will replace your old idol with another one. The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous runs into it and is safe. (Proverbs 18:10 ESV)
- Begin godly relationships. You are not designed to walk alone. From the beginning, God knew Adam should not be alone so he made a helper for him. John called this walking in the light: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. (1 John 1:7 ESV)
- If you fall down, don’t freak out, ‘fess up. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:8-9 ESV) God is faithful when you fail. Run to him.