The story of Hosea is one that rings out as a story about love. Hosea married a woman, Gomer, who was unfaithful.
This is the same kind of unfaithfulness that Israel shows to God. No matter how much God loves his people, they continually turn their back on him.
Gomer often ran away. However, God told Hosea to go after Gomer. So he did. Not only did he go after her, but he bought her back. Yes. He bought her back.
Hosea loved her even though she was unfaithful. God gave Hosea a love that would never give up. God wanted the people of Israel to hear about Hosea and his wife and understand that Israel was no different than Gomer.
God loves with a love that will never give up. Hosea pleaded with the Israelites to turn back to God.
Return, Israel, to the Lord your God. Your sins have been your downfall! Take words with you and return to the Lord. Say to him: “Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the fruit of our lips.” (Hosea 14:1-2 NIV)
Like Hosea, God purchased us back. His love doesn’t give up. As Hosea purchased back Gomer with currency, God purchased us back through the blood of his Son.
Here are the Conversation Starters for this week:
- Have you ever done something to make your parents mad? (Parents: give an example.)
- Do your parents still love you even though you did something wrong?
- Do you think it was hard for them to love you?
- Why do you think Hosea still chased after Gomer?
- Why do you think God still chases after us?
- When you sin against God, do you pray and ask for forgiveness?
- Do you think he forgives you?
- How did he show he forgave you?
- Take some time as a family and confess sins from this week. (Yes. Parents, too.) Then pray for God’s forgiveness.
As always, adjust where needed. God bless!